Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cubify Invent - Tutorial 15: Feature or Bug? Extend, Move and Rotate Explored

No software program is perfect.  And, this is especially true of the introductory version.

Cubify Invent is remarkably bug free.  But, it does have some behaviors that might have to be addressed in future versions.

Using EXTEND, MOVE, ROTATE we explore some behaviors that are a bit puzzling or surprising.  We make an attempt to determine if these behaviors constitute a purposeful feature or a potential bug.



So far, there are no "Show Stoppers" that we've identified.  In fact, almost all of the questionable behaviors that we have seen have relatively minor impact on our ability to design.

7 comments:

  1. As always, good job. My behaviour is slightly different so I suspect my download (done on April 12, 2013) may be a different version than the 1.0 version you mentioned you had. But I can't find the version! How did you determine the version of Invent you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never tried looking before. But, I can't find that information either! You've started a QUEST! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I was also puzzling with this. Luckily, i'm not the only one ;-). You get more confussing bugs when you copy a shape and rotate or move the copy.

    Hopefully, the developers of Cubufy will fix this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. horizontal and vertical constraints are present. You must remove this constraints to rotate the rectangle freely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for filling us in! That's great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great videos! Do you know if there is a way to rotate or move an item on a different axis then it was created on?

    For example, after creating a circle on the XY plane in 2d and making it into a partial torus with a 240 degree sweep is there any way to rotate where the opening is? Viewing from the top, I'd expect to be able to rotate the opening to re-orient it.

    So far, I can't seem to be able to find a way to do something like that. All I can figure out to do is create a new plane that starts where the object should be - which can be really tricky to calculate, and then create a new object.

    ANY advice would be much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Scott,

    Since I started teaching the Youth ChalleNGe cadets I have exclusively used Moment of Inpiration. So, I am REALLY rusty with Invent. So, I can't help you. Hopefully, someone will chime in with help.

    Let us know if you find the answer.

    ReplyDelete