Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cubify Invent Tutorial #1

I've decided to use the time while my Cube is being loaned out to a museum to take a hard look at the new Cubify Invent CAD software.  And, I'll be sharing what I'm learning with you.

I'm a firm believer that ignorance is a benefit when it comes to creating tutorials to be used by other new users.  Experts often bypass what was helpful to them as they learned the product for the first time.  I like to create tutorials while my struggles are fresh in my mind, knowing that other will be going through those same struggles.

Keep it simple.

Tutorials are not only helpful at learning various operations of a product; but, also provide some strategies for attacking the learning process.  In this regard, my strategy is simple.  Don't take on too much at once.  Use one drawing tool and see what can be done with it by applying the modifying tools.

In this tutorial we use only the CIRCLE drawing tool.  We then apply various modifying tools like Mirror, Offset and Extrude.  It's surprising what can be accomplished using this simple learning strategy.

So, here it is... our first tutorial for Cubify Invent...


As you can see, if we try not to be too ambitious as we learn a new product, we can get a very good feel for the potential.  And, for a sub-$50 product, Cubify Invent is VERY powerful!

Cost vs. Other Considerations

I can already tell that I will probably not be as productive, in terms of time, with Cubify Invent as I am with Moment of Inspiration (MOI).  But, MOI is 6 times more expensive.  And, having a lower cost alternative that can get the job done just as well, if not as quickly, is a huge deal.  And, I can already tell that there are some things in Cubify Invent that are missing in MOI.  So, I cannot see myself limited to one product or the other now that I have both.

The feature were I change the original drawing and it's reflected in the updated extrusion is a very cool feature and, alone, makes it worthwhile to learn Cubify Invent.  That is something I have longed for in MOI and, as far as I can tell, it's just not there.

I was skeptical about Cubify Invent until I actually sat down and played with it.  Yes, there are some things that continue to be completely baffling and others mildly annoying (Like the inexplicable need for multiple clicking in Mirror.).  But, those are small hurdles that probably go away with experience.

I hope this first tutorial helps get you up and learning quickly.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd been really floundering with Cubify Invent, but walking through your video, with it running on one side of my screen and Invent running on the other side, I could duplicate what you did.

    I'm comfortable with OpenSCAD, which is a totally different approach. Now, finally, I'm seeing how I can create equivalent things with Cubify Invent.

    I sure hope you're going to do more tutorials like these -- VERY much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also struggling a bit because the approach is different from what I'm used to using. It is not a perfect solution. But, nothing is. What we need to do is to concentrate on learning a workflow that allows us to build up successful strategies. It will come.

    And, yes, I do plan to create more tutorials. :)

    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    I believe the Mirror fields work like this: you must first click the field, which it will then turn blue indicateing it is selected. Next, any items you click will be added to the field. Then click the next field to select it. Then click the axis. I suspect the originating software is a command driven one and this is the 'shortcut' to entering command lines...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello since I am new to this is there a text button in the cubify invent program to personalize an object with a name in it? if so I am sorry can you tell me where it is thank you.Im trying to add a name to a bracelet thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, there is not. It is one of those puzzlingly omissions in Alibre and Invent since it is something that a LOT of people want to do.

    It can be done by bringing the STL that you create into Sculpt and then using a texture map pattern. I will create a tutorial to show how this is done.

    ReplyDelete