Monday, January 7, 2013

CubeX!! BIGGER and FASTER!

Knowing that this was CES week, I decided to check out the Cubify site early this morning.

The first sign that my instincts might be right about something special on the horizon was that the site was initially down.  But, a few minutes later I found out why.

I was shocked!!!  AND VERY PLEASED.

Not only was there an announcement of a 2nd generation Cube that is faster and more accurate than the first.  There was also an announcement that the the Cube has a big sibling!

It's called the CubeX and it's not just a little update.  It's a whole new printer capable of printing both PLA and ABS in up to THREE colors!

I don't have time to do it justice this morning.  But, go to www.Cubify.com

Be ready to be VERY happy!

UPDATE:  Pictures 

As you can see, it seems to be using cartridges similar to that of the Cube.   A puzzling thing for me is that it is apparent that the bed is NOT heated.  As you know, one of the things I love about the Cube has been the heated bed which reduces warping of ABS.  As the new Next-Generation Cube seems to have dropped the heated bed in favor of a special glass bed, I'm hoping that they have found a way to control ABS warping WITHOUT having to have a heated bed. 

 I can't imagine a scenario where 3D Systems would go backwards in this regard.  So, I am REALLY anxious to see the new beds in action and to test them for myself.

The goal is NOT to simply have a heated bed.  The goal is to be able to print ABS without warping.  I don't care how that is accomplished as long as it is accomplished.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment